The Mary Parker Follett Network

Unity, not uniformity, must be our aim. - MPF

Wanted: "Rare" writings by Mary Parker Follett

We are looking for writings by Follett that are hard to come by.
Maybe you have come across any of them?

We are looking for these three book reviews written by Follett:

1. The Enduring Quest by Overstreet
  2. Organizational Engineering by Dennison
  3. Temptations to Rightdoing by Cabot

And the following unpublished works:

1. The Essential Unity of the Social Sciences, 1926
  2. The Nature of Community, 1919
  3. The Social Center and the Democratic Ideal, 1913
  4. Social Ethics Seminary (2 papers), 1926/1927
  5. Twelve Steps, 1926

Your help would be highly appreciated!
Regards, Niels

Views: 265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I saw a reference to the unpublished work #3 being at the Library of the Henley Management College. Perhaps they have more to see there.

Matthew

Hi Matthew! Thank you for your reply.

Do you mean the article "The Social Center and the Democratic Ideal" (1913)? That is the only one of the texts that I have been able to put my hands on, last week. 

I am still looking for all the other publications!

Yes, that's the one.

Matthew

Niels Pflaeging said:

Hi Matthew! Thank you for your reply.

Do you mean the article "The Social Center and the Democratic Ideal" (1913)? That is the only one of the texts that I have been able to put my hands on, last week. 

I am still looking for all the other publications!

You can find Follett's review of the article Organization Engineering here: Follett, Mary P. International Journal of Ethics, vol. 42, no. 3, University of Chicago Press, 1932, pp. 375–77

http://www.jstor.org/stable/2989612.

And here may be found her review of The Enduring Quest: Follet, Mary P. International Journal of Ethics, vol. 42, no. 2, University of Chicago Press, 1932, pp. 217–20

http://www.jstor.org/stable/2378176.

Are you sure "The Nature of Community" isn't her article "Community is a Process" of the same year?

I believe that this is the article The Nature of the Community --- but it is not written by Follett. Same journal that her article "Community is a Process" appears in.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/2178305?seq=1

Thank you for hinting at the 2 book reviews, Matthew! I wonder why I had not been able to find them myself! That was very helpful!

The Nature of Community was also a paper presented by Follett at Cornell University in 1919 (according to Joan Tonn's biography). But this paper was unpublished. I wonder if Tonn found it nevertheless, in some form, and if anybody has it. 

I owe it all to Google Scholar.

Niels Pflaeging said:

Thank you for hinting at the 2 book reviews, Matthew! I wonder why I had not been able to find them myself! That was very helpful!

The Nature of Community was also a paper presented by Follett at Cornell University in 1919 (according to Joan Tonn's biography). But this paper was unpublished. I wonder if Tonn found it nevertheless, in some form, and if anybody has it. 

Could it be that some of these are just in a box?

Yes, I believe you are right. They appear to be "boxed" somewhere in the US
Question is: Do we want to go on a treasure hunt?
We could check out in Tonn's biography where those boxes are, invite others interested in Follett to join us and to get those texts.

They should be scanned, yes.

Niels Pflaeging said:

Yes, I believe you are right. They appear to be "boxed" somewhere in the US
Question is: Do we want to go on a treasure hunt?
We could check out in Tonn's biography where those boxes are, invite others interested in Follett to join us and to get those texts.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Matthew Shapiro.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service